Wild Women Impress In Cobras Defeat
The Widnes Wild women’s team slumped to a 2-8 defeat against likely title challengers Chelmsford Cobras in a good tempered and highly entertaining game at Planet Ice Widnes on Sunday.
The Wild women are undergoing a season of transition and over half of the team on the ice for this game had not played competitive league ice hockey before the start of this season but they gave a very good account of themselves and held their own for long periods of the game.
Chelmsford took the lead in the 4th minute and were 0-3 up at the first break. An excellent second period for the Wild women saw Sav Sumner score two goals for Widnes but four more for the visitors saw the Cobras leading 2-7 after 40 minutes of play.
The third period was a much closer affair with both teams having lots of chances. The Wild matched their opponents for shots on goal during this period and, on another day, might well have bagged a few more goals. As it was, Chelmsford scored the only goal of the period and came out 2-8 winners.
The Sarah Macnaughtan Memorial MVP awards were presented by the Wild’s Poet In residence Lucy London and went to Katie Adshead for Widnes and Rosie Wallace for the Cobras.
After the game, Assistant Coach Leen de Decker said:
“The team put in a great effort and the improvements from training are certainly starting to show with the latter part of the game being very hard fought and a very close last period.”
“Both goals from Widnes came from power play situations, with no goals conceded on the penalty kill, showing that the work we’ve put into those areas has already paid off. This was yet another great step forward for us.”
The Wild women have a challenge game away to Solway Ladies in Dumfries on Sunday 3rd March before returning to Women’s Premier League action on Sunday 10th March when they welcome the Milton Keynes Falcons to Planet Ice Widnes – 5.30pm face off.
- Sunday 10th February 2019 – Women’s Premier League
- Widnes Wild Women’s Team 2 – Chelmsford Cobras 8
- Period Scores: 0-3, 2-4, 0-1
- Shots on Goal: Widnes 23 – Chelmsford 59 (6-27, 6-21, 11-11)
- Penalties In Minutes: Widnes 4 – Chelmsford 12
- Widnes Scoring: Sav Sumner 2+0, Emma Pearson 0+2, Jemma Brown 0+1
- Match Officials: Craig Williams – Referee, Lee Twell & Josh Humphries – Linesmen
- MVPs: Widnes – Katie Adshead / Chelmsford – Rosie Wallace
- Report by Paul Breeze (www.icehockeyreview.co.uk)
- Photos by Geoff White (www.gw-images.com)