Wild Secure Play Off Spot With Away Win Over Senators
The YKK sponsored Widnes Wild confirmed their place in the end of season play-offs with a 3-8 win away to Sheffield Senators on Sunday.
The win means that the Wild cannot finish any lower than fourth in the Laidler Division table and will definitely take part in the post-season tournament which is being held at Planet Ice Widnes over the weekend of 20th & 21st April.
While eventually turning out to be a fairly comfortable win for the league leaders, the game at Sheffield was very close for the first 30 minutes or so and it took over 10 minutes for the first goal to be scored.
Mikey Gilbert put the Wild ahead with a powerplay strike but Sheffield were level two minutes later and it took a Stuart Brittle to goal to give Widnes a narrow 2-1 lead at the first break.
Sheffield drew level with a goal at the halfway stage of the game but after that it was all Widnes as goals from Ross Jordan and Michal Novak edged them 4-2 ahead after 40 minutes of play.
The third period saw Jakub Hajek score a straight hat trick and a second goal for Novak brought the Wild’s tally to 8 before Sheffield scored their third and last goal of the game on 55 minutes.
After the game, Wild Player Coach Ollie Barron said:
“This was another great team performance and it was great to see the fans that had made the early trip to support the boys at iceSheffield in a mid day face off game.”
“I felt we started pretty well, winning the first two periods 2-1 / 2-1 and we showed extra quality in the third period to take the final period 4-1. This is a big result and a fantastic team effort through all the lines to gain the vital 2 points, and a 4-win series victory over Sheffield.”
“Jakub got the man of the match deservedly with his hat trick, but it could have been a number of players as we all played well as a team. We now turn out attention for the visit of Telford Tigers on Sunday at The Hive.”
The win at Sheffield sees Widnes stay 10 points clear at the top of the Laidler Division table and, with second placed team Telford Tigers visiting Planet Ice Widnes this Sunday, that game should be a cracker to watch – face off 5.30pm.
- Sunday 10th February 2019 – Laidler Division
- Sheffield Senators 3 – Widnes Wild 8
- Period Scores: 1-2, 1-2, 1-4
- Shots on Goal: Sheffield 32 – Widnes 48 (11-13, 11-16, 10-19)
- Penalties In Minutes: Sheffield 4 – Widnes 4
- Widnes Scoring: Jakub Hajek 3+1,Michal Novak 2+1, Stuart Brittle 1+4, Mikey Gilbert 1+0, Ross Jordan 1+0, Ollie Barron 0+5, Danny Bullock & Shaun Dippnall both 0+2
- Match Officials: Jarvie – Referee, Bentham & Packer – Linesmen
- MVPs: Sheffield- Stephen Weeks / Widnes – Jakub Hajek
- Report by Paul Breeze (www.icehockeyreview.co.uk)
- Photos by Geoff White (www.gw-images.com)
The post Wild Secure Play Off Spot With Away Win Over Senators appeared first on YKK Widnes Wild.