Weekend Roundup

 Weekend Review


Your Full 9 Yards sponsored Blackburn Hawks had 2 Moralee Division games this weekend and unfortunately came up with zero points.

Blackburn Hawks 0  Hull Pirates 7

Hawks iced 14+2 with only Adam Barnes missing from the line up and Harrison Walker starting between the pipes.

The first meaningful attack came from Hull and with it, the lead. Hull skated over the blue line and the shot from Karlsson was well saved by Walker but the puck stuck in the crease and Jason Hewitt shot the puck home, timed at 03.58.

James Royds had Hawks’ first shot at goal after James Royds sent the puck across the edge of the crease but Bobby Streetly’s shot was easily saved by Day. Ollie Lomax then created a good chance and shot of the chest of the netminder but he put his own rebound just over the top. Hull doubled their lead on 14.45 as Lee Bonner played the puck from behind the net and Korhorn lifted the puck over Harrison for 2-0 at 14.45. Hawks were making most of the chances at this point without capitalising.  With 17 seconds left in the period, Pirates made it 3-0. Hewitt sent the puck through the crease and Chamberlain was there to lift the puck over the diving Harrison. End of the first period and Hawks not deserving to be 3-0 down.



Early pressure on the Hawks in the second period brought two good saves from Harrison Walker. Lee Pollitt came close to putting the Hawks on the scoreboard with a coast to coast skate but his shot whistled just past the post. Hull were dominating but Hawks chiselled out a few chances and when Luke Boothroyd intercepted a pass, he fed James Riddoch who broke one on one with Day but his shot went wide. At roughly the half way point in the game Niks Trappans came on to replace Harrison Walker in net. Shortly afterwards with Petr Valusiak sitting out at 2 minute interference call, Hull made it 4-0. Korhorn found Chamberlain all alone in front of the net and tapped in the cross. Timed at 34.30. A minute later it was 5-0. Towner sent the puck back to the blue line from the corner and Kevin Phillips blasted the shot past Trapans. Before the score announced that goal, Hull scored again as James Archer found time in front of the crease to shoot home for 6-1 on 36.41. The period ended with no further scoring and a weary Hawks team skated off to the locker room.



The 3rd started with both teams skating hard and Ross Kennedy hit the ice after a huge hit near centre ice. Luke Boothroyd then sent Rick Ravey away but Day made a good save. It was Traps turn to pull off a good save, palming the puck in his glove. Hull, for some reason, upped the physical play but to Hawks credit, they stood up to it. Steve Duncombe then sent the puck goalward but even a deflection by Lee Pollitt could not beat the netminder.On Hawks next attack Ross Kennedy found himself alone behind the net and took a couple of punches to the face, bringing the troops to his rescue. Craig Lutkovitch went to sort out the assailant and dropped the gloves. Unfortunately Hewitt did not and after a short scrap where Luko got a couple of good hits in, the ref awarded Luko a 5 plus game for fighting with Hewitt only getting 2 for fighting. Petr Valusiak picked up 2 for roughing in the same incident. Hull took advantage of the extra man to make it 7-0. Luke Boothroyd chased a loose puck off a Trapans save but Chamberlain got the stronger purchase on the puck and poked it over the goal line. The scoring was over for the night but not the confrontations. Hewitt again sat out 2 minutes for elbowing on 51.54 and Archer received 2 for roughing on 52.43. The last handbags of the night came on 55.55 when Ollie Lomax and, guess who, Jason Hewitt went to the box with 2 plus 2 for fighting.



Without a doubt a much better effort from Hawks compared to last weeks encounter. Hull definitely the better side and deserved the win but 7-0 flattered them a bit.

Kevin Phillips took the beers for Hull and the hard working Aaron Davis picked up a well deserved man of the match for the home side.

Heartbreak for Hawks as Sutton Sting them with 47 seconds remaining

Sutton Sting  7  Blackburn Hawks 6

Hawks fought hard from 6-3 down with only 9 minutes remaining as Kieran Brown struck the winner on 59.13.

The post Weekend Roundup appeared first on 'Full 9 Yards' Blackburn Hawks.

You may also like...