Vacancy – Chair of Solway Sharks Ice Hockey Club
- Chair of the Solway Sharks Ice Hockey Club
- Please note that this is a voluntary position, but all reasonable expenses will be paid.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS
- Monday 22nd October 2018
- Interviews dates, times and place will be advised thereafter.
- Please submit your application to Katie Ferguson – email address: email@example.com
- Please include a CV and a letter setting out how you would meet the requirements of the role.
Ice hockey is the world’s fastest team game, full of skilful stick handling, tactics, speed and grit. In the UK, ice hockey is a large spectator sport, has both amateur and professional leagues, and embraces some 12,000 participants from ‘grass roots’ to national team levels.
Ice Hockey UK (IHUK) is a company limited by guarantee which operates as the national governing body for ice hockey in the United Kingdom and also for the home nations of Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. The English Ice Hockey Association (EIHA) and the Elite Ice Hockey League (EIHL) are Member Bodies of IHUK.
The Solway Sharks Ice Hockey Club play in the English National League, the second tier of Ice Hockey within the UK. The Sharks have a long established partnership with Dumfries and Galloway Council. The two organisations work together and along with the Junior Solway Sharks Committee drive the development of the sport within the area. The club are currently going through a period of transition and change in order to continue on our journey of improvement and development both on and off the ice.
The Solway Sharks Committee is now looking to appoint a new Chairman with the experience, drive and skills to lead the club to complete these changes successfully and thus to put the sport within Dumfries and Galloway in a position to realise its full potential. It is expected that the successful candidate, once appointed, will initially take a ‘hands on’ role in helping Solway Sharks to complete the improvements and developments identified, in addition to the usual duties and responsibilities as the Chair of the Solway Sharks.
The Committee usually hold monthly meetings, although the frequency increases in the build up to a new season. The Chair will also be requested to represent the club nationally and to attend, meetings with IHUK, Scottish Ice Hockey and the English Ice Hockey Association as required.
ROLE DESCRIPTION – Chair
- To act as a Committee Member and organisation Chair in the best interests of the Club, with honesty and in good faith towards its Members, principal partners, sponsors and the communities within which the Club operates;
- To use such personal and professional skills together with such contacts, experience and judgement as s/he may possess with integrity and independence to optimise both the short-term and the long-term performance of the Solway Sharks Ice Hockey Club.
- To play a full part in enabling the Committee to arrive at balanced and objective decisions in the performance of its agreed role and functions, in line with the Clubs constitution;
- To ensure that the objectives of the Club, as agreed by the Committee, are promptly and properly carried out; and
- To act in the way s/he considers, in good faith, is most likely to promote the success of the Club for the benefit of its Members and for the sport as a whole.
In particular the role of the Chair is:
- To lead the Board in the effective management of the affairs of the Solway Sharks Ice Hockey Club;
- To chair meetings of the Committee and settle the agenda for each meeting with the principle partners, and ensure that such meetings are convened;
- To ensure that the Committee is kept properly informed on all important matters;
- To maintain regular communication with the Head Coach.;
- To maintain outside contacts with the sport’s funding partners, sponsors, potential investors and the public, assisted and advised where appropriate by the committee;
- To ensure that each Committee Member has the necessary freedom and opportunity to express her/his views;
- To be available for consultation with any Committee Member.
- To take a lead on all Financial matters in relation to the club activity in line with appropriate fiscal process and procedures.
PERSON SPECIFICATION – Chair
Persons holding the role of Chair of the Solway Sharks should meet the following personal specifications.
Required key skills, experience and qualifications:
- Established reputation as a leader and strategic thinker.
- Experience of chairing boards and/or committees.
- Experience of speaking in public or to the media
- Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to work positively within a team
- Ability to develop effective, sustainable partnerships within the sport and with key stakeholders
- Ability to support, challenge and manage a relationship with the Club Committee
Desirable skills, experience and qualifications:
- Experience as a director, trustee or committee member in a commercial or voluntary or public sector context;
- Established reputation as a leader and strategic thinker in the commercial or voluntary or public sector context.
Required behavioural competencies and qualities:
- Strategic perspective and vision
- Drive and commitment, and the ability to demonstrate these attributes to others
- Selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership (Nolan Principles)
- Commitment to the sport and the organisation
- Strong intellectual and analytical abilities
- Innovative thinking, with ability to focus on the issues to be dealt with
- Dynamism, enthusiasm and energy
- Resilience and ability to make things happen
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- Willingness to be an ambassador for the Club and the sport
- Willingness to adhere to the Solway Sharks Ice Hockey Club Code of Conduct