UK Round Up 28th October

Elite League

In Cardiff it was a rematch between the Blaze and the Devils. However it was the same outcome. The Devils twice took the lead through MacRae but could not hold on to it as the Blaze twice levelled. Crucially it was Shea Guthrie’s goal less than a minute after Matt Beleskey had levelled for the second time that proved to be the Devils downfall. There may be more downfalls to follow though as Dave Simms noted ‘mayhem’ ensued during the post game handshakes and both sides will be in trouble with head of discipline Simon Kirkham if not the police. Early reports that emerged from the rink suggested that Coventry Blaze forward Benn Olson had punched a fan and that the police were in attendance at the game.

Both of the nights other two matches were up in Scotland. Braehead were looking to put Friday’s disappointment behind them in Dundee. However for 2 periods it looked as though Fridays poor performance was continuing. The Stars took a 4 – 0 lead into the final session before the Clan posted 3 goals in 3 minutes to set up a grandstand finish. However the comeback was not on as the Stars had also scored through Bowen in the midst the same 3 minutes to give the Stars a big win.

Finally the Nottingham Panthers showed little tiredness in their third game in three nights as they for the third night in a row scored 5 goals. It was not as easy as the previous two nights however as the lead changed hands 3 times between them and Fife Flyers. NHLer Anthony Stewart opening the scoring before the Flyers duo of Hogg and Wilson reversed the game in favour of the home team at the end of the first. Galivan and Francis then turned the game back in favour of the Panthers before two goals from Lachowicz and Francis put the game beyond doubt.


The Manchester Phoenix completed a memorable weekend that saw them stay top of the EPL standings with a 7 – 1 thrashing of the Bracknell Bees. It was almost a perfect night for the Altrincham side as results elsewhere came in. The third placed Slough Jets suffered a loss at Peterborough whilst fourth placed Milton Keynes gave the Telford Tigers their first win in their refurbished home. The Swindon Wildcats also looked to be giving the Phoenix a perfect result as they led the second place Basingstoke Bison 3 -1 before the Bison responded and forced overtime. It was Miller who got the extra goal for the Bison to keep them a point behind Tony Hand’s side. Guildford also continued their run of form with a big win at the hapless Sheffield Steeldogs.


Elite League

Fife Flyers  3 Nottingham Panthers 5

Dundee Stars 5 Braehead Clan 3

Cardiff Devils 2 Coventry Blaze 3




Manchester Phoenix 7 Bracknell Bees  1

Sheffield Steeldogs 3 Guildford Flames 7

Telford Tigers 3 Milton Keynes Lightning 0

Peterborough Phantoms 3 Slough Jets 0

Basingstoke Bison 4  Swindon Wildcats 3 AOT

Neil Tucker

Neil has written on ice hockey for many websites concentrating on British ice hockey mostly. Neil also covers ice hockey in other countries and organises his Blueliner Hockey Tour. A graduate of the Manchester Metropolitan University Neil turned his hand to hockey writing in 2009. As well as contributing on Blueliner Hockey Neil has contributed to Get Real Hockey and Slapshot Magasine.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply