Photo of Levi Cable and Brett Ferguson in front of Steelers netminder Barry Brust.  Photo courtesy John Uwins.
Photo of Levi Cable and Brett Ferguson in front of Steelers netminder Barry Brust.  Photo courtesy John Uwins. 

Sheffield Steelers visited Spectrum Sunday night for a top of the table clash and departed Surrey after leapfrogging the Flames for sole possession of 1st thanks to a 3-1 win over the home team. 

Sheffield started the night quickly with a goal at 2:48 through Robert Dowd and had a 2 goal lead before the game was 7 minutes old when Martin Látal was on target.  That difference remained on the board through the frame and remained in place again as the next period came to a close.

At 48:25, Steelers took a 3-0 lead with a John Armstrong powerplay marker.  A Flames reply by Jordan Cownie just 29 seconds later finally got them on the board to be within a pair as the game came down the final stretch, but that would be the only offence they could muster before the evening timed out. 

“That’s definitely a tough weekend to digest and try to move away from,” admitted Paul Dixon.

“It was a tough start to be down 2 goals so early to a such a good team and as we have said many times before, either on the good or bad end of that situation, it makes it a very tough night for the team that has to play uphill the rest of the way.”

“We expected to be in with some points, despite the massive ask of a difficult road trip ahead of a tabletop game the next night, but it didn’t go our way and all we can do is get started again this week in training to see what we can do next.”

Neil Tucker

Neil has written on ice hockey for many websites concentrating on British ice hockey mostly. Neil also covers ice hockey in other countries and organises his Blueliner Hockey Tour. A graduate of the Manchester Metropolitan University Neil turned his hand to hockey writing in 2009. As well as contributing on Blueliner Hockey Neil has contributed to Get Real Hockey and Slapshot Magasine.

You may also like...