Stars Victorious Over Invicta Thanks To Jamie Thompson Shut-Out

The Stars most recent away fixture saw them play the Invicta Mustangs out of their home rink in Gillingham, Kent. Despite being faced with a littering of injuries, including both netminders, the Stars were still able to push and bring home the 2 points from another successful away match.

With Mark Duffy and Milan Ronai both being unable to play through injury, Jamie Thompson, who is a returning face to the Oxford City Stars, was the man to take position between the pipes as the Oxford net minder. At 41 years of age, Thompson has a wealth of experience having played for teams including Swindon Wildcats, Wightlink Raiders, Coventry Blaze, Guildford Flames and Oxford City Stars. Thompson iced for the Stars from the 03/04 season through to the 05/06 season before also being a part of the Stars roster during the 10/11 season.

There was a mere 2 and a half minutes between the opening faceoff of the match and Oxford scoring their first goal, which was the result of a lovely wrap around goal by Kamil Kinkor to get Oxford on the scoreboard. Again, within quick succession, Invicta player Regan O’Neil received a 2 minute trip to the penalty box for kneeing. At the point of 11 seconds remaining on that Mustangs penalty, Darren Elliott was able to score the Stars second goal of the night on the power play with a lovely pass from Josh Oliver and a second assist being awarded to Alex Staples. A further 5 minutes ticked by on the clock before Alex Staples received a 2 minute penalty for elbowing to put the Mustangs on the powerplay. The Stars were able to stop the Mustangs from scoring in the time they had the man advantage and were able to score a third goal within 30 seconds of having a 5th man return to the ice. Theo Bundock was able to get the puck into the back of the net having received it in a beautiful set up pass across the ice from Kamil Kinkor. No further goals were scored by either side before the end of the period to put the Stars in a good position of 3 goals up at the end of the first 20 minutes.

A couple of minutes into the second period, play ceased due to Jason Ikin being inflicted with a wrist injury as a result of a check from another player and ended up having to leave the ice and make an early exit from the game. Once the remaining 15 minutes of play resumed for the second period, Oxford received their second and final penalty of the match as Will Harrison was given a minor penalty for tripping, to which the Mustangs were again unable to take full advantage of being on the power play. Just over a minute after returning to full strength, Mike Whillock scored Oxford’s 4th goal, Theo Bundock being the player with the assist. No more penalties were given between the scoring of this goal and Oxford scoring another goal, this time Joe Edwards scoring and Martyn Gray assisting. This was the final goal scored in the period leaving the Stars up by 5 goals to nil.

As far as ice hockey goes, the final period of this match was a rather quiet one. Invicta came out strong after the second intermission, looking to score and reduce their goal deficit. The Mustangs kept up good pressure against the Stars, to which Oxford called a time out in order to assess the situation – nine minutes remaining of the game at this point. In the leg of the game, Mike Whillock was able to score his second of the night along with Kamil Kinkor notching up his second assist. In the final seconds of the game Invicta received a penalty for hooking which didn’t result in any further goals.

The final score was Oxford City Stars 6 – 0 Invicta Mustangs, accompanied by an added bonus of Jamie Thompson earning a shut out in his first match back with the Stars.

Courtney Millard    

You may also like...