Stars Slump To Heavy Devils Defeat

Sunday 15th January 2017.

Oxford City Stars took to the ice for the second game of the weekend hoping to carry on their winning form from the night before, but it was not to be as they went down 10-4 to Solent who the night before had equally if not more impressively beaten Invicta Dynamos by 8 goals to 2. It was a disappointing display by the Stars for many reasons, not least that five of the visitors goals were scored when Stars were serving penalties in the sin bin.

Both teams started the game brightly as first Stars Alan Green forced the Devils netminder Chico Cole to make a save and the
impressive Matt Lawday called Stars netminder Tom Annetts into action. It was the home side who opened the scoring when Joe Edwards played a superb cross ice pass to Darren Elliott who blasted the puck past Cole. Solent equalised in the 15th minute of the game when Alex Murray fired in from the blue line, a shot that Annetts failed to stop. This was the key point of the game as Stars Jaroslav Cesky took exception to the visitor’s goal celebrations and came in and cross checked a Solent player. Cesky was assessed a 5 minute penalty and was ejected from the game by the referee for his indiscipline. Solent went into the lead during the five minutes that Stars were forced to play shorthanded when the puck pinged off two Stars defencemens skates and landed on the stick of Mark Pitts who scored from right in front of Annetts. Another shot from the visitor’s man of the match Richard Facey extended the lead to 3-1 just before the end of the period.

The second period did not start well for the Stars as Drew Campbell netted the visitors fourth goal inside the opening minute. Stars replied almost instantly as youngsters Hallam Wilson and Logan Prince combining with Wilson the scorer. Solents Murray scored his second and the teams fifth, with Facey adding his second and teams sixth goal at just over the half way mark of the game. Stars replaced Annetts with Mark Duffy in goal as they tried to establish a foothold in the game. Darren Elliott having the Stars best chance to reduce the deficit.

The third period saw the Stars concede two quick goals to Aidan Doughty, sandwiching a Brendan Baird goal for the home side. This left the game at 8-3 to the visitors. Murray completed his hat trick in the 49th minute, once again on the powerplay as Stars picked up a string of two minute penalties. There was still time for Baird to reduce the deficit with his second marker, but it was the visitors who scored the final goal when former Stars player Mason Wild netted with seconds remaining.

Final score: 4 – 10.

Ian Dibley

You may also like...