Sheffield Steelers 4 – 0 Glasgow Clan (9-1 agg)

Glasgow Clan are out of the Challenge Cup after going down 4-0 to Sheffield Steelers to end the semi final tie with an 9-1 aggregate.

It was always going to be a major challenge for the Clan after the 5-1 scoreline in the home leg two weeks ago, but the return of Craig Moore and netminder Patrick Killeen to action was a welcome for the travelling fans.

The first period was a tight affair as both sides kept it tight although Killeen was kept busy with some saves in the opening stages as Steelers helped to warm him up on his return to action.

Matt Beca saw one go close, followed by Mikael Lidhammar seeing his effort saved by Tomas Duba and those were the best of the chances from Glasgow as they tried to close the gap.

Marcus Jonsson was denied by Duba early in the second as Clan broke forward, but Steelers started to find their way up the other end as Killeen stopped John Armstrong.

Sheffield kept knocking at the door against as Brendan Connolly tried one from the right side face off circle at the hash marks, but once more, Glasgow’s goalie was there to stop it.

Eventually, Steelers found a way through on the powerplay as Lucas Sandstrom drilled in from the centre to increase their aggregate lead.

It took them only a couple of minutes to double their advantage on the night and it was Sandstrom again with another effort from the slot that fizzed into the net.

By the end of the middle period, the home side were three up without reply as Marc Olivier Vallerand sent a high shot over Killeen and whatever hope there was of turning this tie around were well and truly gone.

Clan almost responded straight away with a Nolan LaPorte effort, but it went wide of the post and Sheffield were the happier as they returned to the locker room for the second break.

Glasgow kept trying with Liam Stenton, Craig Peacock and Scott Tanski all having chances, but Duba was in no mood to give anything up.

Steelers hit the post twice, but got through again as Armstrong finished off a rebound to make it 4-0 with around ten minutes to go.

Travis Ehrhardt struck the post late on, but the buzzer confirmed Clan’s exit from the Challenge Cup at the semi final stage for the second season in a row.

You may also like...