Preseason Match Report: University of Manitoba Bisons 3 – Manchester Storm 4

#4NATIONS TICKETS ON SALE NOW!!! Tickets can be ordered online HERE, or by          calling the box office on 0161 926 8782, or in person at the box office.

It’s been a long off-season, but Summer is over and the Storm Shelter opened its doors; to new Storm recruits, returnees, and our first opponents of the season, The University of Manitoba Bisons.  

The first period started clean, with Storm coming out of the gates looking the sharper of the two sides. New D-man Harrison Ruopp struck first blood of the night, scoring his debut goal in the first five minutes of play. First assist came from Mike Hammond, who starts his second season at Storm intending to retain his position as the league’s Leading Points Scorer. Dane Byers took the second assist,with his first point as Storm Captain. Marcus Basara took two separate 2 minute penalties, for hooking and for cross-checking. Neither side shied away from the physical aspects of the game, with Bisons’ Thomas Lenchyshyn sitting 2 for holding, and Lucas Skrumeda sitting 2 for charging.

With 30 minutes gone, Bisons replaced their netminder, swapping Spriggs for Sydora, and it wasn’t long before Hammond  scored Storm’s 2nd goal of the night at 31:02, assisted Felix-Antoine Poulin. Balmer and Springer both took penalties, for a delayed hit, and delay of game and Rob Linsmayer sat a 2 minute roughing penalty, with Bison’s, Lenchyshyn taking a penalty for holding. After a few handbags and another goal secured, both teams skate off the ice at the end of the second period, with a 2-0 scoreline.

The third period was the fastest and most eventful, as Jeremy Leipsic clawed one back for Bisons within 25 seconds of the 3rd period face off. After a few clashes throughout the game, the temperature turned up a notch, with unlikely goon Mike Hammond, taking 2 minutes for roughing, joined by Dallas Ehrhardt and Luke Moffat, also sitting for roughing. Bisons took coincidental penalties, with Lucas Skrumeda  and Nick Zajac, in the box.

Poulin managed to restore the Storm a two goal lead, but it lasted only a minute before Devon Skoleski scored for Bisons. Within the final eight minutes it all kicked off, with Bobby Chamberlain and Declan Balmer getting escorted out for the remainder of the game. Bisons newbie, Keaton Jameson then secured a tie for his team, scoring the equaliser in the final 4 minutes of play, with the game standing at 3-3. However, it was newcomer, Evan Richardson who saved the day within the final three minutes of play, scoring for Storm with hopes of securing the 4-3 win.

With two minutes left in regulation time, Bisons call a time-out in order to discuss tactics and pull their goalie with one minute left to go in the game, in hopes of equalising. After a well-fought game, with plenty of penalties throughout, the final whistle is blown, both teams shake hands and Storm do their victory lap, sealing the win at 4-3.

Man of the match for Manitoba bisons fell into the hands of #15 Keaton Jameson, who secured the Bisons equalising goal in the third period. The Man of the match for Manchester Storm went to Mike Hammond, who got one goal and two assists.

The next preseason game is Saturday 25th August, where Storm take on Odense Bulldogs @ 19:00 face-off!

Don’t forget you can still sign up for the club’s special event, Charity Golf Day HERE Book your team soon to avoid any disappointment!

You may also like...