Preseason Match Report: Toelzer Loewen 1 – Manchester Storm 3

Following an overtime loss and a win over Danish opposition last week, this weekend sees the arrival of two DEL2 teams from Germany. First up were the Loewen from Bad Tolz, who brought with them a number of travelling fans that brought a party atmosphere to the Storm Shelter.

The first period was evenly matched, with Storm’s Matt Ginn and Loewen’s Ben Meisner facing 10 shots each in nets, with the breakthrough coming when Ciaran Long scored in the 18th minute, from a Byers assist. Byers also took two penalties in the first period, for roughing in the 8th minute, and elbowing in the 15th minute.

The second period saw spells of pressure from the Loewen, but after having a goal disallowed last week against Aalborg, Marcus Basara scored a cracker of a goal, dekeing Meisner in net in the 29th minute to double the Storm lead.

Basara stuck again in the 42nd minute, his second consecutive goal of the evening, this time a breakaway with a debut assist from Barnes.

The first penalty of the third period didn’t take place until 47:40, with Schlarger sitting in the box for Loewen with a delayed penalty for holding. Löwen take their chances whenever they can, with attempts to get through the five-hole, only to be denied by Ginn.

There were coincidental penalties for both teams with Moffat sent to the box for cross checking, with Löwen’s Schwarz sitting for holding. Not long after being released from the box, Schwarz then received another minor for goalie interference.

Hopes of what looked like a possible shut out for Ginn ceased, as Loewen did not give up, clawing a goal back through Johannes Sedlmayer, who slot in a back door goal at 54:31.  This was followed by a goal review, which is then allowed, giving the travelling fans something to celebrate.

Things heated up in the final three minutes as Balmer and Löwen’s, Schlarger came to blows, both receiving a 2+2 penalty for roughing. Löwen were left on the power play, with Storm’s, Bakker also sitting a minor for a delayed hit following the scrap.

Down by two goals, Löwen took advantage of their power play pulling their goalie, Meisner, and did their best to pull a goal back. Storm’s netminding and defence were on form,as no more goals were conceded, and the game ended 1-3 to Storm.

Man of the Match for Tölzer Löwen went to #11 Johannes Sedlmayr.

Shane Bakker marked his return to Storm by being named Man of the Match. Goal scorer Sedlmayer was named Man of the Match for our visitors.



You may also like...