Mos slip to overtime loss against Slough

slough_220919It was a heart-breaking narrow defeat for the Dynamos on Sunday as goals from Elliot Farrell, Arran Strawson, Juraj Huska and Owen Dell proved not to be enough to prevent a 5-4 overtime loss to the Slough Jets in Gillingham.

The Dynamos were without the injured Dale Buckland and Brandon Webster but Gregor McAllen joined the line up once again. Arran Strawson also returned to the squad after signing back with the Gillingham club for his eighth season midweek. Slough Jets missed Adam Rosbottom, Timo Lindgren and Luke Reynolds.

Not long after the opening faceoff Conor Redmond was sent to the penalty box with a two-minute hooking penalty and Harrison Lillis quickly joined him with a hooking penalty of his own. It was an early powerplay for the visitors then and Sam Talbot took his first shot on netminder John Dibble – Dibble knocking the puck away into the corner.

Back to full strength and the Dynamos forwards charged into the Slough zone – Jake Stedman chased the puck around the back of the net, passed to Elliot Farrell along the boards and he played on to Filip Sedivy who took a shot on Matthew Smital but the netminder threw his body in the way. Just moments later and the Dynamos opened the scoring – Farrell received the pass from Sedivy and fired the puck into the top corner of the net from the right circle at 07:31.

Jets defenceman Liam Clark was later sent to the box for a two-minute hooking penalty. On the powerplay the Mos pinned the visitors in their own end for the full two minutes with both Juraj Huska and Tom Davis searching for the second goal of the night but Smital saved every time. Having managed to survive the powerplay Slough got their first goal of the night at 15:10 as Talbot shot the puck off the far post and it bounced into the net to make it 1-1.

The visitors received another powerplay as Arran Strawson was sent to the penalty box for two-minutes. Dan Rose then quickly scored their second goal at 16:26 as he sent the puck flying past Dibble with a blue line slapshot that travelled through traffic. End of the first period and the Jets led 1-2.

Second period began and Anthony Leone was soon sent to the box for a two-minute slashing penalty. The penalty kill soon turned to a 4-on-4 play as Slough defenceman Matt Jordan picked up a two-minute hooking penalty. On his home debut back at Gillingham, Arran Strawson then levelled the tie at 2-2 as he sent the puck flying beyond the netminder from the right wing at 21:39.

Rose attempted to score the third goal for the visitors, but Dibble covered. Rose stopped close to the netminder and sent snow into his face. Lillis confronted the forward, but the officials were quick to split the pair.

Down the other end Talbot attempted a shot on Dibble then picked up the rebound, skated behind the net and flicked the puck towards the empty target but his shot hit the post and flew into the corner. The miss would prove costly as Dynamos youngster Owen Dell skated into the slot and fired into the back of the net to put the home side in the lead at 38:23.

Not even 30 seconds later, Huska then slammed a slapshot beyond Smital giving the Dynamos a 4-2 edge – a two goal cushion to defend going into the last.

The third period had barely started when Slough scored their goal of the night at 41:13 as Talbot flicked the puck over Dibble’s pads to cut his side’s deficit to just one. The jets tried to equalise but Lillis skated back as two forwards skated into the zone and dived between the two to block their pass and halt the attack.

Sedivy received two-minute cross-checking penalty just two and a half minutes before the end of the game. Slough called a timeout and returned with six players as Smital remained on the bench. Six-on-four play led to Slough equalising 4-4 at 57:56 as Handisides knocked the rebound of a blue line slapshot beyond the netminder.

Frustration from both teams caused confusion on the Slough bench as they saw two many men on the ice. The officials blew the whistle and the Dynamos received a powerplay with 30 seconds remaining of regulation time. After a full 60 minutes, the score remained 4-4 so overtime begun.

Dynamos still on the powerplay so added an extra man to the 3-on-3 overtime. Huska tried for the winning goal but it hit the pad of the netminder and Ryan Morgan attempted to put in the rebound but Smital knocked the puck into the corner. Down the other end Talbot received a pass on the blue line and skated towards the Dynamos zone with Strawson skating alongside for company attempting to knock the forward off the puck. Talbot shot the puck at Dibble who initially covered but the puck became loose and Talbot skated it around the netminder and tucked into the net scoring the winning goal for the visitors.

So the Dynamos lost out on a third straight win but still picked up a point having taken the game to overtime. The Dynamos defence was stronger than during the two pre-season friendly games against the Jets but was not quite enough to keep them at bay with the visitors victorious in a 5-4 game.

Written by Hannah Lawrence.

You may also like...