Mos fall short v Streatham in cup

result11_streatham_211017It was a disappointing night for the Invicta Dynamos on home ice on Saturday night as they fell 5-2 at the hands of Streatham in the NIHL Cup despite a brace from Czech forward Adam Rehak.

The Invicta Dynamos welcomed back Ashley Jackson following his midweek move from the Basingstoke Bison and started with John Dibble between the posts. Streatham gave netminding duties to Nathan Gregory, with Matt Colclough suspended, and iced new Canadian import Andreas Siagris – so new the club had not even announced him before faceoff.

The opening frame was a scrappy affair but both teams were on the board within the first five minutes. Streatham lit the lamp first as Ryan Watt was allowed to skate the length of the ice almost unchallenged, skipping around three before sending a low drive through the legs of Dibble from the high slot at 03.46. At 04.20 the hosts levelled – Mason Webster finding Adam Rehak on the back of the left circle and the Czech dispatched top corner, inside the near post for 1-1.

From that point on the period largely belonged to Streatham – Jamie Hayes tested John Dibble with a shot through traffic before the visitors surged in front again at 09.47 – Ryan Watt’s pass took a deflection before falling perfectly to Ryan Webb point blank right and he beat the goalie over the shoulder for 2-1. Dibble was regularly under fire in the Mos goal and he had to throw himself in front of an Adam Carr backhand flick from the edge of the crease to keep the deficit to one but was finally beaten again at 18.38. This time the shot stopper was undone by Michael Farn’s low blue line drive through traffic that left him completely unsighted and the score at 3-1 with 20 minutes gone.

The second period was much more even with the hosts finally starting to ask questions of Nathan Gregory in the visiting net. Ondrej Zosiak’s cross ice pass found Callum Fowler at the back stick but Gregory shifted across his line to make the save before the netminder coolly gloved Adam Rehak’s shot to the top right. Down the other end John Dibble made an excellent double stop – first robbing Joe Allen at the far post and somehow getting himself in front of James Warman’s immediate follow-up.

At 26.21 Streatham added a fourth – it was far from a feast for the eyes but it counted nonetheless as a frantic goalmouth scramble ended with Joe Allen forcing in at point blank range for 4-1. Brief rest bite followed as Tommy Ralph dived in front of a shot that winded him pausing play for a minute before the Mos replied swiftly at 28.27. Ashley Jackson broke clear down the right-hand side before finding Adam Rehak at the far post who stick handled around the dive of Nathan Gregory before flicking home for 4-2.

Both sides then traded chances for the remainder of the frame – Jamie Hayes unable to beat John Dibble from left of the target and Rehak snatching at a shot and firing wide when found with time and space by Ralph in the right circle whilst on the powerplay.

Early in the final period the Dynamos created an excellent opportunity to cut the deficit to one – Justin Robinson speeding down the left flank before playing to the crease where the on-rushing Brandon Webster could only poke into the pads of Nathan Gregory. Having already linked up for their side’s second goal, Adam Rehak and Ashley Jackson then showed signs of the link up play that made them so lethal in 2016/17 – the Czech sweeping to goal where the Brit was unable to force home. Down the other end Brandon Miles fired straight onto the mask of John Dibble whilst Aidan Doughty perhaps could have done better having been found close left before sending the puck wide of the far post.

Eventually the final goal of the night came at 53.01 and it was a game killer as the visitors notched their fifth to lead by three. Ryan Watt found Adam Carr left of the target and he expertly stepped across the crease before rifling beyond John Dibble to make it 5-2. All that remained was for time to wind down as the visitors then sealed a disappointingly comfortable victory on Dynamos ice.

So it was a poor night from the Mos who can, and already have, played much better. Sloppy passing and numerous giveaways meant the hosts were guilty of gifting the visitors chances whilst Streatham were organised and clinical enough to make the most of their opportunities and take the cup win. Man of the match awards went to Adam Rehak of the Dynamos and Ryan Watt of the away side.

Written by Paul Bennett.

You may also like...