King rules over the Raiders

Streatham 2 – 0 London Raiders

London Raiders were shut out by former goalie Euan King on their way to defeat in South London last night.

Having had victory in the National League snatched from their grasp by Oxford City Stars on Saturday, as the visitors netted a late penalty shot to seal a 6-6 tie, Raiders travelled across the river Thames for a cup fixture.

And after David Savage fired an early chance straight at Michael Gray, the visitors saw Marek Nahlik shoot wide on a 2-on-1 break.

Gray denied Nicky Chinn with a good save, before Jack Cooper was thwarted by King at the other end and Kamil Kinkor also had a shot deflected over the plexi glass.

Raiders won a powerplay chance when JJ Pitchley was hooked by savage, but the home side’s penalty-kill unit did its job to keep the scoreline blank.

King robbed Nahlik with a double save, before former Raider Michal Oravec was called for boarding for a hit on James Pentecost.

Again the powerplay could not provide a breakthrough and Gray had to be alert to keep out Savage, before Julian Smith was binned.

Streatham could make their extra man count as the first period ended goalless, but they took the lead with barely two minutes played in the second session as Chinn teed up Joe Johnston to fire past Gray.

Chinn fired straight at Gray from Oravec’s feed, before the home side doubled their lead in the 27th minute as James Warman produced a good block in their end and Sean Scarborough countered to score with a wraparound finish.

The gloves came off following the goal, as Adam Wood and John Connolly traded blows and collected six minutes each in penalties.

And Gray produced an excellent glove save to deny Steve Fisher a third Streatham goal, before Jack Tarczycki’s block frustrated Nahlik at the other end.

Pitchley was given a holding penalty towards the end of the period, with Gray pulling out another stunning glove save to keep out Savage’s blast, despite the goal judge flicking the red light on.

And the visitors were then caught with too many men on the ice, with Fisher missing a great chance to make it 3-0, before Nahlik broke to fire just over King’s crossbar.

Raiders made a bright start to the third period, with King denying Pitchley twice, before Gray kept out Wood’s slapshot.

Nahlik drew a hooking penalty against Liam Rasmussen, but Raiders still could not break through and Streatham saw Scarborough go close from Callum Best’s pass.

King kept out Pentecost, who drew a slashing call from Savage, but despite building lots of pressure on the powerplay Raiders remained off the scoreboard.

The visitors called a timeout with 71 seconds left on the clock, but King held firm for a 19-save shutout and the man of the match award, as Gray took the prize for Raiders for his 34-save effort in a losing cause.

Scorers, Streatham: Joe Johnston 1 Sean Scarborough 1 Callum best 0+1 Steven Fisher 0+1 Michal Oravec 0+1 Nick Chinn 0+1.

Penalty minutes: Streatham 14 Raiders 12.

Shots faced: Euan King (S) 9-4-6=19-0 Michael Gray (L) 11-15-10=36-2.

Referee: Thomas Stephenson.

Report courtesy of the Romford Recorder

The post King rules over the Raiders appeared first on Ice Hockey in London.

You may also like...