Glasgow Clan 5 Guildford Flames 3

Glasgow Clan made it six straight home wins as they finally beat Guildford Flames at the fifth attempt to pull them closer to the play-offs, winning 5-3.
After a three-game losing run, the last thing Clan needed was to be pitted against their ‘bogey’ team in the form of Guildford Flames, a team with seven out of eight wins in previous meetings.
However this didn’t phase Glasgow as they looked to get back to winning ways with a couple of chances as Matt Beca and Vaclav Stupka combined.
Beca’s effort was saved by former Clan goalie Travis Fullerton at first with both men combining again in the next attack, only for Stupka to put his chance wide.
Travis Ehrhardt smashed one on goal shortly after that needed a deflection to remove the danger for the Flames.
By the end of the opening period, the home side were in front as Rasmus Bjerrum’s shot from a Beca pass was stopped by Fullerton.
Guildford failed to clear their lines and the Dane took advantage to send the puck into the net at the low left hand corner for a first period lead.
The visitors hit back after 34 minutes when Kruise Reddick fed the pass into the centre for Ian Watters to bury from close range, coming off the bar in the process.
But Clan restored their lead as Brendan Connolly’s pass from behind the goal caused a scramble that saw Guillaume Doucet get the final touch to make it 2-1.
Scott Pitt added a third when Matt Beca sent one in from the right, with the #61 getting the merest of touches to take it beyond Fullerton.
The celebrations from that had barely died down when Reddick forced in to pull the Flames to within one in the final 13 seconds of the middle period.
Brett Ferguson got the equaliser from his own shot, which was saved by Rumpel and the game was on a knife-edge.
But it wasn’t for long as Matt Beca let rip with a beast of a shot that flew past Fullerton as the home side regained the lead once again.
Then Doucet got final goal, nicking a touch from Ehrhardt’s drive and the lead was increased to two with five minutes to go.
Penalties made it a nervy end to the game, with Clan having two men in the penalty box and Fullerton pulled for Flames as they chased down the gap with a six-on-three powerplay.
Heroic saves from Rumpel made the difference as the home side held on for a big two points against the only team they haven’t beaten this season.

Neil Tucker

Neil has written on ice hockey for many websites concentrating on British ice hockey mostly. Neil also covers ice hockey in other countries and organises his Blueliner Hockey Tour. A graduate of the Manchester Metropolitan University Neil turned his hand to hockey writing in 2009. As well as contributing on Blueliner Hockey Neil has contributed to Get Real Hockey and Slapshot Magasine.

You may also like...