Photo of action in front of the Flames net during Sunday’s game.  Photo by John Uwins.

Belfast Giants stuck a dagger of disappointment in the hearts of Flames fans when they secured a powerplay goal a little over 4 minutes from time to edge a 4-3 win over the Flames on Spectrum ice in the 3rd head-to-head game between the clubs in as many nights. 

In the opening set, the clubs traded goals with Belfast taking a lead at 2:19 through Jordan Boucher and Mike Crocock tying it about 4 minutes later. 

Ian Watters converted a powerplay at 22:08 to put Flames in front shortly after re-start, but a late period David Goodwin strike had the teams on a pair each to start the 3rd.

At 43:16, during 4 on 4 play, Goodwin’s 2nd of the contest put Giants in front, but Watters’ 2nd of the evening seconds later near the end of some leftover powerplay time brought it even for a 3rd time.  Just North of 5 minutes remaining, a minor penalty to John Dunbar opened a door the Giants stepped through when Tyler Soy bagged their winner on a powerplay.  

“We have had a lot of gut-wrenching disappointments this season, and maybe this one just feels like the worst since it is most recent, but it is very upsetting to come out of that one with nothing,” explained Paul Dixon. 

“I thought we did enough to be in a position to win, and guys worked as hard as they possibly could, but we just couldn’t find a way.”

“We will have to sit with this for a day or 2 and then we will need to leave it behind when we come back to training and start again for Coventry, Nottingham and Glasgow coming up.” 

Neil Tucker

Neil has written on ice hockey for many websites concentrating on British ice hockey mostly. Neil also covers ice hockey in other countries and organises his Blueliner Hockey Tour. A graduate of the Manchester Metropolitan University Neil turned his hand to hockey writing in 2009. As well as contributing on Blueliner Hockey Neil has contributed to Get Real Hockey and Slapshot Magasine.

You may also like...