Flames win 5-2 at Milton Keynes

3 unanswered goals in the 1st period had the visiting Flames in a 3-0 lead they would not relinquish the rest of the way during an eventual 5-2 Patton Conference win at Milton Keynes Lightning.  John Dunbar had Surrey’s men in front near the halfway mark of the stanza when he traded the powerplay for the game’s opener.  Geoff Walker made it a 2 goal lead in the 13th minute and another Dunbar strike 85 seconds from period close had the visitors in command; up by 3 at the break.  An early 2nd period Rhett Rachinski powerplay goal widened the gap to 4.  Kevin King pulled that one back when he got Lightning on the board at 28:20, but a last second Kruise Reddick answer re-stored the 4 goal difference through a couple of frames.  Milton Keynes made it 5-2 with the final goal of the evening early in the 3rd through Carl Hudson. 

“They are unquestionably playing very short benched at the moment,” said Head Coach Paul Dixon, “and we opened very strong and got on them early.  With that pressure, were able to make some of our better chances count in the 1st period.”


“It makes things very difficult for the trailing team to be down by a few goals that early because they have to change gears to take many more chances if they are going to reply, and they actually worked hard and created some opportunities but we were in a good spot to stay in control for the rest of the night.”


“It is a conference game and we are really happy to get a couple of road points, and look forward to visiting Coventry tomorrow night to see if we can make a success of that one also.” 


Neil Tucker

Neil has written on ice hockey for many websites concentrating on British ice hockey mostly. Neil also covers ice hockey in other countries and organises his Blueliner Hockey Tour. A graduate of the Manchester Metropolitan University Neil turned his hand to hockey writing in 2009. As well as contributing on Blueliner Hockey Neil has contributed to Get Real Hockey and Slapshot Magasine.

You may also like...