Flames take win at Glasgow

A couple of 3rd period powerplay goals and an empty netter, all of them inside the last 10 minutes helped the Flames break up a 1-1 tie to return home with a 4-2 road win over Glasgow Clan. 


In the opening set, Flames carried a 10-6 shot advantage but clean sheets at both ends thanks to Patrick Killeen in Clan’s net and Travis Fullerton guarding the Flames cage sent the clubs to the dressing room on a scoreless draw through 20 minutes. 


It took until well over halfway before anyone registered the first goal of the contest and Ian Watters got the credit at 34:18, but exactly a minute later Matt Beca had the game all square once again and they started the 3rd still deadlocked. 


In the 48th minute Flames were forced to kill a penalty and after doing so successfully a couple of Flames powerplays added a couple of goals when Jamie Crooks got the ‘go ahead’ at 51:32 and TJ Foster added another at 53:38.  Clan replied on another of their own extra man stretches when Chad Rau pulled one back inside the last 4 minutes.  Just under 2 minutes from time Killeen was traded for an extra skater, but with 57 ticks on the clock Kruise Reddick put it away when he converted on the unguarded crease. 


“We thought we had enough of the play over the first 50 minutes to be in the lead so when you get to that point and you are still stuck in a tie it is a bit concerning,” admitted Paul Dixon.


“Clan are really short-staffed right now and when a team is not at full strength you really don’t want to miss that kind of opportunity especially when you have travelled that far from home.”


“We killed off a key penalty just prior to our powerplay striking gold.  We couldn’t be happier walking out of here with a couple of points, but we have a long trip home and we have to immediately start getting ourselves re-set for Fife on home ice tomorrow night.”  


Photo of Jamie Crooks who had a 3rd period powerplay goal to kick start the late 3 goal run.   Photo courtesy Al Goold. 

You may also like...