Fantastic Weekend for the Hawks

Fantastic 4 point weekend for the Hawks


Your Full 9 Yards sponsored Blackburn Hawks had 2 Moralee Division league games last weekend starting with a tough fixture at Solway Sharks.

Hawks were a bit short benched for the long journey north, icing without Bobby Streetly, Rick Ravey, Danny Nomanovas and Luke Boothroyd. Niks Trapans was the starting netminder.

Hawks made a great start to the game with James Riddoch finding the back of the net with only 1.37 on the clock. An assist went to James Royds. Before the noisy travelling band of Hawks fans had stopped celebrating it was 2-0, Petr Valusiak firing a shot top corner. Assists went to Kieran Brown and James Neil. Solway brought themselves back into the game on 7.27 when a Hawks’ line change was not properly set up and Ian Bowie hit the net. Solway had their tails up and scored the equaliser on 11.04 with a goal by ex Hawk Lewis Baldwin. Blackburn were making more chances than their hosts and after attempts by Pollitt, Brown and Valusiak, Ollie Lomax and Ross Kennedy worked the puck down the ice between them and Aaron Davies was in the right place at the right time to slot home from the front of the crease for 3-2 Hawks, timed at 15.52. The buzzer went with no further scoring and happy Hawks’ fans celebrated a fine 20 minutes by their favourites.

Hawks hit an early double strike to start the period with goals from Kieran Brown, assisted by Petr Valusiak and Adam Barnes just 11 seconds into the stanza and 2 minutes later Adam hit his first of the night, assisted by Ross Kennedy and Ollie Lomax. That was enough for Kyle Johnson in the Sharks’ net and he was replaced by Jordan McLaughlan. Solway were not lying down and pulled one back when Joe Coulter re-directed a shot by Lewis Baldwin into the top corner. 3.23 gone in the second and we had a 3-5 game. In between that crazy 3 minutes there was time for Kieran Brown and Cale Tanaka to exchange a few blows and both sat out 2+2 penalties for roughing. Rampant Hawks made it 6-3 on 25.20 with Adam Barnes’ second of the evening assisted by James Neil and James Riddoch. Another bout of fisticuffs ensued on 38.50 as Craig Lutkevitch and Ross Murray had their version of strictly on ice and again both combatants sat out a 2+2. The rest of the period was end to end stuff but both netminders stood strong and the teams went for a second cuppa with Hawks leading 6-3.


The third period saw Solway chasing the game and Hawks, whilst making chances of their own, looked like they were comfortably dealing with the Sharks’ efforts. With Petr Valusiak in the box for a high sticks infringement at 50.41, Adam Barnes had a couple of short handed chances but the home netminder was up to the task. There was just under 7 minutes left in the period when Ollie Lomax was flattened by Struan Tonner and received a punch to the head while he was down on the ice. As you can understand, Ollie did not take too kindly to that and gave him a piece of his mind, Ross Murray also got involved and the result of all that was a power play to Hawks. Ollie was given 2 for roughing as was Ross Murray and Struan Tonner was awarded a game misconduct for roughing.  It did not take long for Hawks to take advantage and they hit their 7th of the evening on 54.21. Petr Valusiak was the scorer with an assist to Adam Barnes. The final action of the night was another minor coming together between Adam Barnes and Adam Robinson and Ollie Lomax must have upset the stripeys as he went to the box on a delay of game call with 4 seconds left. That was it for Hockey Saturday and the Hawks well deserved winners 7-3. The beers went to Harrison Walker for Hawks and Ross Murray for the home side.



Sunday night saw the officials, players and fans of the Hawks and Sutton Sting stand in a perfectly observed minutes silence to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

The Hawks’ fans were delighted to see Rick Ravey warming up after his nasty injury a couple of weeks ago. The home team were still missing Danny Nomanovas and Bobby Streetly but Luke Boothroyd returned to the ice. Player coach Steve Duncombe decided to coach from the bench for this game.

2.24 gone in the game and after a bit of physical stuff in the away crease saw Rick Ravey take a 2 minute minor for cross-checking and Ollie Lomax, who stepped in to look after his team mate, had wordsd with James Goodman of Sting were both given 2+2 for roughing. Sutton were having more of the play midway through the period and Harrison Walker had to make a good save, plucking the puckout of the air to break down an attack. Sutton were having the better of the game as Blackburn seemed a bit slower off the mark. The period ended with neither team troubling the scoreboard.

Hawks upped their game at the start of the second period and once again they had a double strike to give themselves a 2-0 lead. Firstly, on 22.17 Aaron Davies was the first to react to a Ross Kennedy shot and rifled the puck top shelf for 1-0. The second goal came on 23.11 as Kieran Brown scored, assisted by Petr Valusiak. Hawks had Sutton reeling and a third goal went in on 24.15 as Kieran Brown and Adam Barnes combined and a cross ice pass from the latter found Kieran, who had a simple tap in for 3-0. Hawks were in no mood to let up as Kieran Brown found the tape of Petr Valusiak’s stick and the puck found its way past Gilfoyle in the Sutton net. Goal timed at 28.57.

The fifth, second period goal for the Hawks came on 36.04 as James Royds found himself with no support in the Sutton defensive zone, and hit a belter from the face off spot to make it 5-0 Hawks.

That was it for the second period and the Hawks goal machine rumbled its way to the locker room.


It was Sutton’s turn to make a good start to a period and they broke Hawks’ shutout on 41.16 with a goal from Scott Morris, assisted by Stanislav Lascek. Hawks relaxed in the third, defending their big lead. Sutton came more into the game but on 56.25 a Sutton attack broke down and Kieran Brown took control all on his own to roof a top corner special to make it 6-1 to end the scoring for the weekend. The beers went to Petr Valusiak for the Hawks and Joseph Colton for Sutton Sting.

A great 4point weekend for the Hawks as they make it 4 wins on the bounce.

Delighted Coach Duncombe commented,  “Absolutely delighted with the guys this weekend. We were a bit short benched but every single player stood up to be counted and two great performances brought its just reward. Now we must move on and keep this momentum going to move up the table.”

Hawks are next in action on Saturday 17th November when they head across the Pennines to take on the Sheffield Steeldogs and return to the nest the following day to play the Solihull Barons.

Photos courtesy of Thomas Foy and Steve Pollitt

The post Fantastic Weekend for the Hawks appeared first on 'Full 9 Yards' Blackburn Hawks.

You may also like...