Dynamos disappoint on travels v Thunder

mkthunder_160219A shortbenched Invicta Dynamos drew a blank and fell to a disappointing 6-0 defeat on their travels against the Milton Keynes Thunder in Buckinghamshire on Saturday night.

The Mos were without Ryan Giles, Arran Strawson, Callum Best and Harrison Lillis whilst Luke Thirkettle was icing for the Mustangs. The Dynamos did however welcome back defenceman Andy Munroe.

It was the visitors who created the first opportunity of the game when, on 32 seconds, Oskars Ancitis skated down the right flank and cut a pass back to Louis Colvin but he couldn’t get enough on the puck to divert it beyond netminder Jordan Lawday. The Mos were then on a penalty kill on 01:52 with Anthony Leone sitting two minutes for slashing but his teammates successfully shut out the Thunder during that time.

The away side were defending another penalty on 05:29 with Lewis English penalised 2 minutes for a tripping offence. After returning to full strength they were soon on their own powerplay with Thunder’s Hallden Barnes-Garner slashing at Lewis English in the 8th minute and, although Louis Colvin managed to get a shot on the Thunder net, it was the hosts who would score on the shorthand to make it 1-0 – Tomas Rubes striking on 09:22 assisted by Greg Randall.

The Dynamos started to step-up the pace and on 12:24 Ondrej Zosiak carried the puck from defence to attack and looked to close-in on the Thunder net before Randall tripped him to put the Mos on another powerplay. With the extra man on the ice, Matt Foord and Anthony Leone linked-up with Mos’ captain Leone shooting at Lawday who saved well. Seconds later Leone hit the post just before the Thunder returned to full strength. A chance then fell the way of the Mos again on 14:35 when Jake Stedman dinked the puck across the goalmouth for Lewis English to get a tip on it but once again Lawday was equal to the shot. The netminder was having a goof game and further denied Leone on 16:29 and Lewis English on 17 minutes. Having not taken their chances the Dynamos were then punished on 19:05 when the Thunder went 2-0 up – the puck falling to Tom Mboya who made no mistake dispatching beyond Conor Morris assisted by Rio Grinell-Parke and Alex Whyte.

Early in the second period Ryan Morgan brought the puck forward with the end result seeing Ancitis fire an unsuccessful attempt saved on Lawday. The Thunder missed a great opportunity to increase their lead on 24:15 when Morris saved from Barnes-Garner and Rubes missing the rebound by firing over the bar. It was soon 3-0 however when on 26:42 Rio Grinell-Parke latched onto a mistake to score unassisted. There were protests from Morris that the puck didn’t fall into the net but referee Hewitt was having nothing of it.

The Mos were now very much second best with Logan Prince hitting the post in the 29th minute and Morris saving from Jamie Line on 30:10. A powerplay fell the way of the home side on 33:59 with Brandon Miles sitting a slashing penalty but this time the Dynamos kept any danger away from Morris. At the close of the period a hit by Ondrej Zosiak on Rio Grinnell-Parke ended with players bunching and arguing on the buzzer the end result seeing Zosiak receiving a 2+2+10 for attempted spearing on 40:00. Joining Zosiak would be teammate Brandon Miles and opponent Rio Grinell-Parke who both got 2 minutes for slashing.

During the start of the third period the Dynamos successfully defended the 4 minutes powerplay and returned to full strength but were again a man down when on 45:36 Lewis English was penalised for tripping. A rare Mos attack during the period was on the shorthand through Brandon Miles who knocked the puck back for Matt Foord to shoot first time with Lawday once again showing good form to keep the Mos on a blank.

Despite having a 5 on 3 powerplay when Tom Mboya and Ross Bowers were penalised on 49:51 and 51:02 the Mos failed to score – although the Thunder did notch a goal when back to 4 skaters with Tomas Rubes tallying on 52:58 unassisted. A further unassisted strike by the hosts came on 57:01 through and the scoring was completed on 59:09 when the Thunder went 6-0 up – Ross Bowers doubling his goal tally on a powerplay assisted by Jamie Line and Greg Randall.

Referee: Hewitt

MK Thunder: A. Whyte 0+1, J. Line 0+1, T. Mboya 1+0, R. Grinell-Parke 1+1, G. Randall 0+2, R. Bowers 2+0, T. Rubes 2+0
Dynamos: None

J. Lawday save percentage – 100% (37 shots/ goal)
C. Morris save percentage – 86.05% (43 shots/ 6 goals)

MK Thunder: 12
Dynamos: 26

Man of the match:
MK Thunder: T. Rubes
Dynamos: R. Morgan

Written by Lee Allen.

You may also like...