Corey McEwen – player profile
At the start of the 2016/17 season, we sat down with Corey McEwen and discussed his life in – and out – of ice hockey for our match night programme. This is what he had to say…
1) What has been your high point in playing ice hockey?
For me it was making it onto the CIS (Canadian Inter-University Sport) team in Ontario. Coming to the England and signing with the Tigers is of course a high point for me, so I want to get some points behind me for this season.
2) When did you first start playing ice hockey?
I was seven years old when I played my first season. In fact, I first skated at the age of four years old and didn’t like it to be honest.
3) At what point did you realise that you wanted to be a professional ice hockey player?
When I was little, I wanted to become a professional as my dad was a player at the time and it was all I wanted to be. My father was a big influence for me in choosing to play, and my family had some very strong ties into professional ice hockey.
4) If you weren’t an ice hockey player what would you be doing now?
I would be finishing school. It’s still on my list of things to finish. I would be completing my studies for in legal and justice and then studying for my bar exams.
5) What’s your favourite song?
I don’t have a particular favourite song. I like so many different songs and music changes every week.
6) Where’s your favourite place to holiday?
I definitely prefer to go locations that are hot. I often holiday in Jamaica with my family.
7) What was your first car?
Chevrolet Tahoe – its a really big SUV.
8) What’s your dream car?
Anything that is fast. I bought myself a Mitsubishi Lancer last year and it’s a great fun car.
9) What’s your favourite food?
I really like Italian food. I would definitely say spaghetti Bolognese is my favourite food.
10) What’s your favourite drink?
I like to drink beer, so at home I like to drink Shock Top and Labbatts White. In England I have also tried Guinness, which I particularly like.
11) What are you hoping to bring to the Tigers this season?
I want to put up some points this season, to be a scoring threat and one of the top players on the ice. I want to be hard working all the time, non stop.