Colvin nets as Mos push Peterborough

peterborough_240219Louis Colvin was on target for the Invicta Dynamos but it was not enough to prevent the Peterborough Phantoms claiming a 3-1 victory in the NIHL South Division 1 in Gillingham on Sunday.

Dynamos were without Luke Thirkettle, Callum Best, Ryan Giles and Harrison Lillis while the visitors were missing James Ferrara, Petr Stepanek and Corey McEwen but added Ross Clarke to their roster.

The hosts set the tone for the game early on as Brandon Miles shoved Taylor Romeo mid-ice. This gave Louis Colvin and Oskars Ancitis a chance to crash the net and call Jordan Marr into action. Joe Allen then took down Bradley Bowering as the Peterborough defenceman wound up for a slapshot.

Peterborough dominated much of the play but the Dynamos stood strong and kept the Phantoms at bay. Allen skated the puck up the ice and tried to beat Marr with a slapshot, but it was knocked aside. Anthony Leone collided with Jarvis Hunt mid-ice, but the Dynamos captain stood strong sending the Phantoms forward down. Behind the play Jake Stedman was elbowed by Ales Padelek but it went unnoticed by the referee.

Moments later, as Leone skated across the ice, Scott Robson kneed him, and Leone stumbled. Miles stood up for his captain as he jumped into action. Miles punched Robson a couple of times before letting him drop to the floor. Miles received a two-minute roughing penalty while the Robson sat two minutes for kneeing.

A 4-on-4 play allowed the Phantoms to dominate the game. Several players in front of the net allowed Callum Buglass to flick the puck over Connor Morris’s pads for the opening goal at 13:42. Not long after the tie was back to 4-on-4 as Stedman and Hunt were both penalised for slashing. In front of the Dynamos net players bundled in front of Morris and Billing managed to get the puck under control and fire – Morris trying to block but the puck bouncing over his pads for 2-0 at 18.50. End of the first and the Dynamos trailed 0-2.

The second period started hectic as Morris left his net to play the puck but was then caught out as it bounced to a forward and had to race back to his line to make the stop. Behind the game once again, Phantoms Buglass caught Miles in the face as the Dynamos forward skated past. The referee blew the whistle and Buglass sat for two minutes for high sticks.

Ondrej Zosiak took out both Thomas Norton and Robson with hits but was penalised for the second check of the two – the import sitting two minutes for a late hit. Ex-Dynamo Martin Susters was then shut down by Matt Foord who then proceeded to take out the Phantoms player into the boards. Arran Strawson took his chance and stood strong as Susters ran into him, but the Phantoms forward bounced off the defenceman. Strawson hit Susters again soon after but this time his stick came up and hit Susters in the face, causing the Phantom’s forward to bleed. Strawson received a 5 plus game penalty for high sticks. Dynamos managed to kill the 5 minute penalty and kept the Phantoms at bay.

Hunt hit Miles and began to speed up the ice but, Allen met him half way and ran the Phantoms player sending him down. End of the second period and the score remained 0-2.

The third period begun, and the Dynamos came out stronger than ever. Lewis English attempted to beat Marr but the netminder swept the puck aside. Susters was then still trying to score against his former side for the Phantoms but was denied but Morris twice in a row which invited chants from the home crowd.

Dynamos with a powerplay chance as Nathan Long was sent to the box for inference. The hosts lined up for shots and it was Louis Colvin with an effort from the right circle which gave the Mos their first goal in three games – scored at 38.27 which made the score 1-2.

Phantoms were quick to retaliate as James White notched on 38.40 from the slot which re-established their two-goal lead.

In response Miles took a shot from just behind the goal line, Munroe tried to finish the effort but Marr managed to stand firm. Susters then had another two efforts on Morris but the netminder saved with ease and shoved his ex-teammate. With just over two minutes remaining of the game, Susters was sent to the penalty box for slashing giving the Dynamos a powerplay. Peterborough called a time out but the two netminders remained on the ice. Powerplay over and Matt Foord showed the Phantoms one last time the strength of the Dynamos as he sent Padelek smashing into the Dynamos gate.

At the final whistle, the Dynamos were defeated 1-3 but having to fought throughout the game. The physicality of the Dynamos kept the Phantoms at bay for much of the game but the title challengers had the quality to leave Gillingham with the points.

Written by Hannah Lawrence.

You may also like...