Clan complete 4 point weekend over Nottingham

Glasgow Clan remained top of the Elite League after completing another four-point weekend, beating Nottingham Panthers for a second consecutive night.

Jordan Heywood and Rasmus Bjerrum converted penalty shots after both teams were locked at 2-2 after regulation play then overtime to the delight of the travelling fans.

With last night’s game still fresh in the memory for both teams, it was a case of seeing who could end the double header the happier of the two.

Clan were hoping to complete a second consecutive four-point weekend while Panthers were not about to see a double home loss.

They certainly relayed that message with the opening goal barely a minute and a half into the opening period on a powerplay.

Jon Rheault’s shot was stopped by Patrick Killeen, but Samuel Herr was on hand to tuck away the rebound and give Tim Wallace’s side the lead.

Clan looked for a quick reaction as Scott Tanski’s effort was stopped by Kevin Carr then Chad Rau went close, but no finish.

They got their equaliser a few minutes later on the powerplay as Carr was cited for delay of game, with youngster Joe Hazeldine taking the seat for him.

The extra man allowed Glasgow to take advantage as Scott Pitt fired in at the back post from a Mikael Lidhammar assist and it was all square.

Nolan LaPorte hit the post shortly after then Mathieu Roy thought he had added a go-ahead goal, but after review, was deemed to have hit his skate.

An end to end opening period didn’t yield any further goals, but it was the Panthers who fired themselves in front again five minutes into the middle period.

Clan were under the cosh a little and Killeen’s resistance was finally broken from a slapshot by Robert Lachowicz from the hash marks in a central position.

The visiting goalie was kept busy for spells in the second as Nottingham looked to make their advantage count even more.

As the game moved into the third period, it could have gone either way despite the Panthers being narrowly in front, but thankfully for the away fans, it didn’t last much longer.

Travis Ehrhardt’s shot bore down on goal, but a tip from Roy sent it beyond Carr and levelled the game for the second time.

The game was still on a knife edge and with seven to go, Tanski went agonisingly close as both teams homed in on victory in the final stages.

Roy, Rau and Linden Springer were all making nuisances of themselves in offence, with Carr on top form to deny them all.

The game went to the extra period and Rau’s effort was saved early on and although Killeen was called upon the make a couple of big saves, the game needed penalty shots to find a winner.

It was here Killen not only kept up his end of the bargain, but Heywood and Bjerrum did their bit to make it four straight wins as the Clan come home.

Neil Tucker

Neil has written on ice hockey for many websites concentrating on British ice hockey mostly. Neil also covers ice hockey in other countries and organises his Blueliner Hockey Tour. A graduate of the Manchester Metropolitan University Neil turned his hand to hockey writing in 2009. As well as contributing on Blueliner Hockey Neil has contributed to Get Real Hockey and Slapshot Magasine.

You may also like...