Bracknell Bees 1 – 4 Telford Tigers


The Bracknell Bees went into their first game of the weekend with confidence high after a four point weekend last time out.   They welcomed back Shaun Thompson, Sam Oakford and Tony Redmond from injury and again added Ben Paynter to the squad whilst Chris Wiggins was still missing through suspension. Tom Annetts and Tom Murdy started in the respective nets.

The game started out evenly with the sides looking to get an early grip as the play swung from end to end.   The Bees first good chance came when Lukas Smitals long range wrist shot rebounded out to James Galazzi who was unlucky not to find the net.   Chances were are a premium early on as neither team could take a commanding grip on the game.   Tom Annetts was called into action a couple of times from Rick Plant for Telford.   The first goal of the game came against the run of play when a turnover led to Joe Miller feeding the puck through to Marek Mikusovik who slipped the puck under Tom Annetts in the Bees net.   The Bees heads didn’t drop however and almost immediately some good work from James Galazzi gave Grant Rounding a chance close in that was well saved.   The intensity level had risen and chances were more free flowing now and Tom Annetts had to stand firm in the Bees net late on as the Tigers pushed forward.   The Bees however had the late pressure in the period and Rob Lamey had a shot well saved as time ran out in the period.

The second period started with the Bees on the powerplay and heaping the pressure on as they looked for the equaliser.   As the period went on chances were aplenty in front of both goals, Lukas Smital having a noticeable chance well saved by Murdy in the Tigers net.   Both teams huffed and puffed but the defences were on top.   With less than two minutes left in the period the Tigers broke and in trying to poke check the puck away from the on rushing attacker Harvey Stead was judged to have thrown his stick as it left his hand.   A penalty shot was duly awarded and converted by Rick Plant to give the Tigers a two nil lead as the period ran out.

Two nil down and the Bees needed an early response in the third period and got just that.   With just three seconds on the scoreboard the Bees had netted a goal – from the faceoff Rob Lamey passed to Harvey Stead who dumped the puck towards the net from the red line only for the puck to find its way underneath Tom Murdy.   It was now game on as the Bees tails were up and they pushed again for the equaliser.   Chances for Tony Redmond and Lukas Smital were well saved by Tom Murdy.   As the Bees pushed forward and somewhat against the run of play the Tigers broke and a long pass from Dan Scott to Scott McKenzie and then a tape to tape pass to Adam Walker caught the Bees out and Walker finished the chance to give the Tigers a two goal lead again with nine minutes left.   The Tigers now looked to see the game out and defended well against everything the Bees could muster.   The Bees took the gamble late on at a timeout and removed Tom Annetts for the extra skater as they went for it – however it wasn’t to be and in a mad scramble in front of the Bees net a penalty goal was awarded as the Bees did everything they could to stop the puck going in and were judged to have done so illegally.  With only seconds left the game was over, the Tigers taking the points.

The man of the match awards went to Rick Plant for the visitors and Lewis Turner for the home side Bees.

Match Stats:
Period Scores: 0-1; 0-1; 1-2
Bees PIMs – 14 (Spearing 10; Strycek 4)
Tigers PIMs – 8 (Salem 4; Rose & Kiviranta 2)
Bees scoring – Stead 1+0; Lamey 0+1
Tigers scoring – Mikosovic & Miller 1+1; Plant & Walker 1+0; Davies, Scott & McKenzie 0+1
Shots on Bees (Annetts)   28 (11,9,8) + 1 shot on empty net
Shots on Tigers (Murdy)  37 (11,13,13)

Link to Official EIHA Gamesheet – HERE

Link to Match photos courtesy of – HERE

The post Bracknell Bees 1 – 4 Telford Tigers appeared first on Bracknell Bees.

You may also like...