Belfast Giants 5 – 2 Glasgow Clan

It was another tough night for Glasgow Clan’s injury hit side as Belfast Giants took the points in a 5-2 win at the SSE Arena.

In the second game of a three-game stretch this weekend, Clan were keen to get back into some kind of winning form after the disappointment of Friday’s 6-3 loss at Dundee Stars.

A few chances were shared in the early exchanges, with both teams feeling their way through the first period, with Scott Tanski and coach Zack Fitzgerald, returning to the ice to help the injury-stricken team, going close.

The home side took the lead after seven minutes when Elgin Pearce found some room to get a shot away, sending it past Clan goalie Jordan McLaughlin to open the scoring for the reigning champions.

Giants enjoyed plenty of pressure in the remainder of the first, making life hard for the Clan, with Lewis Hook trying one that went over and McLaughlin called upon on a couple of occasions.

Needless to say, it was no surprise Belfast added a second with five minutes left on the clock in the first, hitting a high one into the net and doubling their lead.

After Clan had the chance to reset and go again, Belfast hit them with a third in the opening minute when David Goodwin struck, taking Ben Lake’s pass, scoring his eighth goal of the season – his fifth against Glasgow.

Clan got themselves a glimmer of hope a little later when Nolan LaPorte’s rasping shot on the powerplay zipped past Shane Owen and into the Giants net to close the gap to 3-1.

From there, Glasgow seemed more of a threat going forward as chances soon followed as Scott Pitt, Matt Beca and another opportunity from LaPorte going wide.

McLaughlin pulled off a good save to deny Ben Lake, who attempted a wraparound, then up the other end, Linden Springer found space at the back post to take a pass from Mikael Lidhammar, but there was no way through.

There was encouragement going into the third period as Matt Haywood struck a terrific shot to bring the Clan back to within one early on.

But Belfast restored the two-goal lead as Pearce picked up his second of the night on the powerplay to take the fizz out of the Glasgow momentum.

Then a superb shot from Paul Swindlehurst down the left side lane found its way into the net, leaving McLaughlin well beaten and Belfast on the cusp of victory.

Craig Peacock hit the side netting as Clan worked to try and make the scoreline more respectable in the latter stages, but Giants kept their visitors at bay and took the points.

You may also like...