10 Things You May Not of Noticed this Season
The hockey season well and truly underway now. We have already seen player movements and coaches sacked as teams have found out where they stand in relation to where they wont to be.
Here though are 10 things you may not have released in the season so far.
- Braehead Clan have the best record in the EIHL. Having played only 12 games the Clan are 7 points behind the Belfast Giants. However the Giants have played 16 games so if the Clan were to win there games they would go top. However the Clan will not be getting too carried away as the Giants have picked up 1.56 points per game compared to the Clanâ€™s 1.5 so far.
- The Guildford Flames have scored 1 less goal than the Manchester Phoenix. The Flames currently lie 2nd in the EPL table by virtue of their two goal away loss in Manchester. The Surrey side have scored 92 goals this season compared to Manchesterâ€™s 93 the surprising fact is that Manchester scored 36 of those 93 goals in just 3 games. Take that out of the equation and the EPL title race just got a bit tighter.
- It took the Cardiff Devils 20 games to release Andrew Conboy. Who says playing hockey is hard. The now former Caridiff Devils forward Andrew Conboy played half of his sides matches so far this season having been suspended for the other half. If you consider the rest of his suspension he has been ineligible for more games than he has played this season.
- Adam Henrich is the elite leagueâ€™s highest points score. In fact the Blaze have 3 players in the top 5. But Adam Henrich has 54 penalty minutes as well as his 34 points thatâ€™s more than any player in the top 30 highest points scorers.
- Teams often have contrasting fortunes. A look at the EIHL sides the Braehead Clan and the Cardiff Devils tells a tale. The Clanâ€™s challenge cup record of 2-5-0 has left them 4th in their group. Yet their league record is 8-3-0 leaving them 3rd out of the 10 teams. Then you consider the almost opposite is true of the Cardiff Devils who have a challenge cup record of 5-2-0 good enough for second in their group yet in league action they languish in 9th spot with a 4-8-1 record.
- Out of the 6 leagues in the UK there are still 3 teams yet to register a single point. Blackburn Eagles, Invicta Mustangs and the Telford Titans have perfect loss records. The Titans have also conceded a remarkable 123 goals in their 11 games so far this season.
- There are only 2 goalies to have record 2 EIHL shutouts so far this season. The Belfast Giants Stephen Murphy and Dundee Stars Dan Bakala.
- The Manchester Phoenix are the only EPL team to have a player with 2 hat tricks this season and they have two of them. Frantisek Bakrlik has hit a hat trick against Sheffield Steeldogs and the Peterborough Phantoms whilst Micheal Psurny scored his against the Guildford Flames and the Bracknell Bees. The fastest however was Jozef Kohutâ€™s for Guildford against Sheffield in 8 minutes 44 seconds.
- Former Great Britain international Stevie Lyle has only the tenth best save percentage in the EPL. The Swindon goalieâ€™s 89.26% is nearly 4% lower than that of Manchester Phoenix Steve Fone.
- The 123 goals conceded by the Telford Titans is the same number as the Blackburn Hawks scored in the entire 2012- 13 season. It is also in 11 games more goals than the Titans let in the entire of last season.